Jump to training
||The Upshur County Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program educates its members about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their community and trains them in basic disaster response skills, as well as targeted skills to support our specialized response programs.
Utilizing training learned in the classroom and during exercises, CERT members are called upon to assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an event when professional responders are not immediately available to help. CERT members also are encouraged to support local emergency response agencies by taking a more active role in emergency preparedness projects in their community. The CERT program is a great way to get involved and give back to your community.Do you want to learn to care for yourself, family and neighbors during an emergency or disaster?
We currently have several CERT programs needing volunteers. Each program requires the basic CERT training and may also require program specific training. Most training is available at no cost to CERT members.
Our current programs are:
- CERT Animal Response
- Volunteers in this program will provide emergency shelter and services for domestic animals during disaster situations.
- CERT Basic
- This is our basic level support program. Volunteers are trained in fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations.
- CERT Emergency Communications
- These volunteers will be part of a emergency communications network when participating in an emergency response. This program may partner with the Amateur Radio Emergency Services (ARES) program.
- CERT Flood Response
- These volunteers will have specialized training to respond during flooding situations.
- CERT Teen Program
- This program is specifically designed for teens wanting to help their community through disaster response.
- CERT Traffic & Crowd Management
- Volunteers in this program utilize their specialized training to aid in managing traffic and crowds as called upon during events and emergency situations.
If you are a resident of Upshur County interested in becoming an Upshur County CERT volunteer, send an email to email@example.com
for more information.
CERT training courses are back!
Classes will be held Tuesday evenings starting March 21st at 6:00p. For a detailed schedule, click here.
- Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
- This course is open to the general public age 18 and older and is suggested for individuals with an interest in helping their family and neighbors through emergency preparedness and response. Students will participate in classroom and hands-on education, gaining a better understanding of how to help others until professional emergency responders arrive.
- Download & complete the CERT registration form here
Return the registration form(s) before March 7 2023 to:
- Mail: Steve Wykoff
181 Pallottine Dr
Buckhannon WV 26201
- Fax: (304) 472-6539
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Not sure if you're a fit for the CERT program?
Check out these other great emergency response organizations that provide services during special events and emergency situations:
- American Red Cross
- Buckhannon Police Volunteers In Police Service (VIPS)
- Upshur County Reserve Deputies
- Upshur County volunteer fire departments
- Adrian VFD
- Banks District VFD/EMS (Rock Cave)
- Buckhannon VFD
- Ellamore VFD
- Selbyville VFD
- Warren District VFD (Hodgesville)
- Washington District VFD (Tallmansville)