Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT)
|The Upshur County Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program educates its members about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their community and trains them in basic disaster response skills, as well as targeted skills to support our specialized response programs.
Jump to training
Utilizing training learned in the classroom and during exercises, CERT members are called upon to assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an event when professional responders are not immediately available to help. CERT members also are encouraged to support local emergency response agencies by taking a more active role in emergency preparedness projects in their community. The CERT program is a great way to get involved and give back to your community. Check out our CERT brochure.
Do you want to learn to care for yourself, family and neighbors during an emergency or disaster?
We currently have several CERT programs needing volunteers. Each program requires the basic CERT training and may also require program specific training. Most training is available at no cost to CERT members.
Our current programs are:
- CERT Animal Response
- Volunteers in this program will provide emergency shelter and services for domestic animals during disaster situations.
- CERT Basic
- This is our basic level support program. Volunteers are trained in fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations.
- CERT Emergency Communications
- These volunteers will be part of a emergency communications network when participating in an emergency response. This program may partner with the Amateur Radio Emergency Services (ARES) program.
- CERT Flood Response
- These volunteers will have specialized training to respond during flooding situations.
- CERT Teen Program
- This program is specifically designed for teens wanting to help their community through disaster response.
- CERT Traffic & Crowd Management
- Volunteers in this program utilize their specialized training to aid in managing traffic and crowds as called upon during events and emergency situations.
CERT training courses have returned!
- Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
- This course is open to the general public age 18 and older and is suggested for individuals with an interest in helping their family and neighbors through emergency preparedness and response. Students will participate in classroom and hands-on education, gaining a better understanding of how to help others until professional emergency responders arrive. This course serves as the base framework for other CERT classes and is required to be a member of our local CERT program.
- Class dates & times
- October 9, 16, and 23 6:00p-10:00p
- November 4 9:00a-2:00p
- Class location
- Public Safety Complex, 24 South Florida Street, Buckhannon, WV
- Class registration information
- Registration will close September 30, 2023
- Register online: https://forms.gle/cSSWKchkGt82f89U7
- Download & complete the CERT registration form here
- Return the registration form(s):
Mail: Steve Wykoff181 Pallottine DrBuckhannon WV 26201
Fax: (304) 472-6539
- Return the registration form(s):
- Independent Study
If you want to learn more before joining, these Emergency Management Institute (EMI) interactive web courses are free and available to anyone.
FEMA Independent Study IS-317: Introduction to CERT - This Independent Study (IS) course is an introduction to the CERT program.
FEMA Independent Study IS-315: CERT and the ICS - This course introduces CERT leaders to the Incident Command System (ICS), a proven management system used by emergency managers.
Not sure if you're a fit for the CERT program? Check out these other great emergency response organizations that provide services during special events and emergency situations:
- American Red Cross
- Buckhannon Police Volunteers In Police Service (VIPS)
- Upshur County Reserve Deputies
- Upshur County volunteer fire departments